Moving, especially long distance, can be a real headache. If you are making a long-distance move to our apartments, there are a few pitfalls to be aware of. Avoiding these common mistakes will go far in keeping stress levels low and allowing to focus on getting your new home up and organized and decorated.
- Mistake #1 – Thinking strictly in terms of square footage. Remember that available floor space depends on the apartment layout, including things that may take up that space, such as kitchen islands, built in storage areas, etc. Even a smaller number of square feet may yield more floor space, or vice versa, than your old place.
- Mistake #2 – Not getting an in-home moving estimate. When you hire a mover, you want an accurate quote from someone who has seen exactly what you are moving, rather than a vague estimate from a written list that could double on moving day.
- Mistake #3 – Losing track of necessary hardware. Whether you personally disassemble furnishings or leave it to the movers, you should personally keep any hardware until you reach your new home to avoid it being misplaced.
Have some moving tips of your own? Share them with us on Twitter. Contact us for more information about our apartment community.
Cooking can be a lot of fun, but it can also be messy. In order to help save yourself some preparation space, you want to be able to keep the mess down as much as possible.
Enjoy apartment living by using these 5 tips for cooking without making a mess.
- Before you start making your meals, have a plan. Know what you are going to do before you begin.
- Don’t start cooking unless your kitchen is already clean. When trying to cook in a messy kitchen it can be overwhelming and you will quickly add to the mess.
- A great way to keep the mess to a minimum is to start by preparing your ingredients and tools. Gather everything you need for cooking before you start.
- As you are preparing your food, gather the scrapes while you go. Have a bowl specifically for gathering your scrapes.
- A sure way to keep your kitchen from getting messy is to clean while you cook. As you use dishes, wash them.
While Fairfax apartment living, you can avoid making a mess while cooking by following these tips. You can get more tips for keeping things clean by contacting us today.
Apartment hunting can be stressful. Make apartment hunting easier by keeping these 5 things in mind:
The first thing you need to do is figure out how much you can afford in rent. Your rental should be less than 30% of your monthly income. Figure out which areas you can afford and focus your apartment search on those areas.
Figure out how you will approach your search. You might look at the classified section in the local newspaper, search various websites and posts in town and ask your friends if they know of anything available.
Take note of your “must haves.” Do you need an extra room for an office or insist on an apartment where you can walk to the grocery store?
Know if the bills are included in your monthly rent. If they are not, ask the landlord what the average monthly costs for bills, such as electricity and water usually run.
Be prepared to fill out an apartment application. Know your references and their phone numbers and past addresses where you have lived.
Keeping your eyes open for affordable apartments for rent? Contact us for more information about our apartments or to schedule a tour.
Plenty of parents need to be thinking of healthy school lunches for their kids. Each season brings its own dietary needs for parents to think about, so here are some tips on how to provide your child the food they need to make it through the day.
Preparation Participation: Get your kids involved with making their own lunches. This helps you guide them towards healthier foods while monitoring what they seem to dislike.
Get them Eating: Start with the healthiest foods your kids will eat at the dinner table as a baseline and go from there. Introducing more healthy foods they’ll eat at dinner increases the chance they’ll eat it at lunch.
The Right Container: Make sure you are packing the food in the right container to keep it cool. In summer’s hot weather, food spoils quicker and many healthy vegetable options wilt into an unappetizing mess.
Giving your kids a nutritious and delicious meal is what will keep them happy and healthy throughout the day. So, use these tips while preparing lunches at your apartment, and please feel free to add in any other helpful tips!
One of the great perks to living at 1125 Jefferson is that it has a top-notch fitness center. You can workout all year round, staying healthy and active. It is a terrific asset, convenient, and free to use. To stay fit this fall, a few fitness tips can help keep you on track, get your heat pumping, and make your exercise fun.
First, make sure you have a healthy diet. Drink water and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Having the proper nutrients in your body is as important as exercise. Plus, you will have more energy and feel better.
Change it up. Do different types of workouts to keep things new and interesting. You won’t get bored, plus your body will benefit from a different approach.
Decide when you want to exercise and plan. For example, if you want to workout early in the morning or late at night, have your clothes and items ready so that you can go. It will help you stay on track to schedule exercise.
One of the terrific features at 1125 Jefferson is a garbage disposal in the kitchen. Cleaning up messes is made easier. However, often these features get smelly. Luckily, there are ways of getting rid of garbage disposal odor that are easy. You can freshen the scent with ingredients from the kitchen.
One of the best ways to get rid of smells is with lemons. It works well for garbage disposals. Just take a lemon, cut into small pieces, and grind in.
To remove odor and sharpen the blades, use ice cubes. Drop a few and grind up, the smell will be gone in no time.
An orange is another citrus you can use. Just cut it up like the lemon and toss it in. Soon, the smell will be gone. It couldn’t be simpler.
These are simple and easy ways to remove smells from the garbage disposal. Just use items you find in the kitchen and the whole area will benefit from being freshened up.
For more information on Cityscape, contact us online. You can visit us on Facebook as well.
In this day and age, many of us have crazy work schedules. Waking up at the crack of dawn then working for eight to ten hours can drain the toughest person. After a long day at work, it is easy to overlook something as simple as decorating your apartment. In honor of everyone that bust their hump at the workplace every day, here are a few easy tips to spruce up your apartment in a hurry.
- Do not fear hanging artwork or photographs. Visit your local thrift store or flea market for a selection of inexpensive framed artwork. If you don’t care for the artwork itself, dispose of the original piece then substitute it with your own photographs or personal artwork.
- One quick solution for a bland apartment is to add colors. Paint furniture or purchase lively designed blinds to add life to a dreary apartment. Bold colors disguise decorating deficiencies by drawing your eyes to the brighter object in the room.
- Purchase armless furniture to give your apartment a more open atmosphere. Eventually, you will have to replace your older furniture. When that time comes; purchase armless couches or sofas to give your apartment the illusion of more space.
- Is your kitchen bland? Add mirrors to spice up your kitchen. Mirrors with decorative frames are a great addition to your kitchen, which will also assist in reflecting sunlight and brightening up the area.
- Add hooks or magnetic holders to save space in your kitchen. If your kitchen cabinets are overflowing with pots and pans, purchase hooks to hang your cooking utensils. Magnetic holders are also a great way to hang your kitchen knives and give your kitchen a professional appearance.
After long day at work, avoid coming home to a bland apartment by utilizing some of these easy decorating tips. For additional apartment decorating tips check out The Dos and Don’ts of Decorating Your Apartment.
Are you very conscious about your health and physical fitness? Our fitness center has everything you need to get in great shape and stay that way. Once you get into a routine and want to burn more fat, use a few of these great cardio tips to your advantage:
- One of the best ways to get your cardio in is to go running when you’re hungry. Get up a little earlier in the morning and go for a run before you have your first meal. Because there is no food in your stomach to create fuel, your body will automatically burn fat.
- Get on your bicycle or a stationary bike at the apartment community’s fitness center to really concentrate on your back and legs.
- Instead of beginning slow and gradually increasing your speed when running or jogging, start fast and gradually taper off. This method burns more calories.
- Try interval training when running instead of running for endurance. The constant elevation of heart rate will burn more calories and it is much easier to accomplish than trying to run for 30 minutes straight.
Contact us for more information and to schedule an apartment community tour.
Owning a dog can get expensive when it comes to grooming. Fortunately, there are some simple recipes for natural homemade dog shampoo you can create at home. Here are three different ways you can create natural dog shampoo in your apartment:
- You can make natural homemade dog shampoo by mixing together two cups of dish soap, two cups of apple cider vinegar, four cups of water, and four ounces of vegetable glycerin. Make sure the dish soap has a seven to eight pH level and doesn’t have a strong scent. Shake it well before using it.
- To make a conditioner, begin to boil four cups of water, and add in two teaspoons of rosemary. Once it boils, take it off the stove and let it sit for 10 minutes. Once it’s cooled, strain out the rosemary and put the liquid in a bottle for easy use.
- To create a dry shampoo, sprinkle half a cup of baking soda on your dog’s coat, rub it in, then brush his fur. Avoid putting it on or near his face.
If you would like to receive more information regarding our pet-friendly apartments, please contact us at 1125 Jefferson.
When you’re looking to get to lower heating bills, you have to make a concerted effort to that end. Of course you don’t have to do anything all that off-the-wall but the heating aspect of your budget does have to remain at the fore. Here are some pretty plain courses for navigating the best ways to lower heating bills in your apartment.
Firm: Keeping your temperature output at a firm level is one of the simplest ways to keep your heating budget enforced. Setting a baseline temperature keeps your heating bills at a steady rate.
Samba: How low can you go? Once you’ve established a baseline, then see how much you can lower your heater. For every 2 degrees you cut back you can significantly reduce your heating costs.
Length: It’s a good idea though to keep your heating rate at the same levels for long periods of time. If you are going to be out of the house for work or sleeping ratcheting down your heat to as low as you can stand walking back into is a great way to reduce the costs.
Heating bills can be kept in check when you use these strategies.